Executive Development in the Maritime Sector
The theme of the course draws on the international executive experts in maritime administration and from the examination and critical assessment of various national maritime administration/navies and coast guard models around the world. The course will review in an interactive manner the role and skill sets of middle to senior managers relating to leadership and management responsibilities, organizational management, crisis and conflict management, negotiating and consensus building. It will also focus on contemporary challenges of senior managers and competency development and accountability management in a maritime setting.
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Provide for an update on current executive management development as it relates to the current challenges relating to safety, security and environmental management in the maritime sector.
- Examine their own corporate challenges, in an interactive manner, and how they are being influenced by global change.
- Examine executive development and human resource management strategies to address workplace issues of conflict and crisis management.
- Assess and examine the role of leadership, mentoring and coaching employees.
Course intake and who should attend
To enhance the learning experience, the intake is limited to minimum number of 15 (fifteen) participants and maximum 25 (twenty five) participants. The course is aimed at maritime educators, postgraduate researchers, NGO representatives, middle to senior managers in maritime administrations, coast guards, navy and environmental agency representatives.
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Group discussions
- Group exercises
- Group/individual presentations and critiques (dependent upon class size)
- The role of executive management and current challenges in the global maritime sector.
- The changing roles and functions of public/maritime administration.
- IMO and its maritime conventions and their effective implementation.
- Leadership and organizational management theories, and their application to current challenges/issues in the maritime sector.
- Crisis and conflict management, negotiation and consensus building in a maritime organization.
- Accountability, transparency, values and ethics in a maritime organization.