The World Maritime University is a unique, global maritime institution founded by the International Maritime Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations. As a center of excellence for maritime postgraduate education and research, WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes as well as Executive and Professional Development Courses with the highest standards in maritime affairs. Located in Malmö, Sweden with additional M.Sc. programmes in Shanghai and Dalian, China, WMU promotes the international exchange and transfer of maritime ideas and knowledge.
Unique aspects of WMU include:
- A truly international and unique University, founded in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations
- Strong alliance with IMO, with its Secretary-General serving as Chancellor of WMU
- Operates on the basis of a Charter adopted by the IMO Assembly, and is accountable to the IMO Secretary-General, Council and Assembly, and to an international Board of Governors composed of representatives of some 30 different governmental, industry, labour and educational bodies, as well as an 11 member Executive Board
- A global maritime network of over 4,654 alumni from 167 countries, serving in maritime positions such as ministers of transport, directors of shipping companies and ports, heads of maritime academies and naval organizations. Many serve as representatives of their home countries at international forums and organizations such as the IMO.
- Highly specialized and internationally renowned faculty and research associates that represent the core maritime fields.
- Academic knowledge and experience in running international postgraduate programmes in Malmö, Sweden as well as in Shanghai and Dalian, China.
- An international and strong connection with the commercial shipping sector.
- Alliances with national maritime administrations.
- Strong presence and connections in China, with WMU’s Shanghai Centre, launched on Jan 2012, recognized by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- International Field Study Programme, supported by maritime host organizations in London, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Athens, Istanbul, Genoa, Malta, Oslo, Singapore, Busan, Yokahama, Valparaiso, and Halifax, among others.
- A truly international environment, where students from around the world work and live together that offers an incredible opportunity for the sharing of maritime knowledge, as well as cultural understanding and growth.
- A state-of-the-art, new University facility in the heart of Malmö.
- High quality Henrik Smith Residence, offering comfortable accommodation with high security standards.